Monday, 29 May 2017

I-D

As the iconic New York designer, Anna Sui, prepares to launch a retrospective exhibition and career-spanning book, she talks to I-D magazine and reminisces about underage Iggy Pop concerts in suburban Detroit and 90s shopping trips with Marc Jacobs, including a trip to Alfies.


In 1995, she travelled to London with Marc Jacobs and Martine Sitbon.
"I said to Marc, 'I think I'm going to go to London next week,' and he said, 'Oh, maybe I'll come with you.' So then I called Martine and she came from Paris. We all went around together, with my friend Anita Pallenberg." Saturday was the designated shopping day. They spent hours at Portobello Market. "Then I wanted to go to Alfies [Antique Market] and Cornucopia. They were like, 'Can't we have lunch first?' But I said, 'Come on, let's go there and then we can have lunch.' We ended up not having lunch at all. If the stores had been open at night, I would have kept going!"

No comments:

Post a Comment